The area north of Fort Pierce originally was part of Viking, settled in 1892 and named for the preponderance of Scandinavians. A post office was established there May 21, 1898. At the turn of the 20th Century, the area was called Fort Pierce Farms. On Aug. 18, 1919, it was renamed Indrio. Alice Binney, whose husband, Edwin, created Crayola Crayons, combined the first three letters of the word “Indian” with “rio,” the Spanish word for river.

Source: Post Time: The story behind Indrio, other St. Lucie County names |
Use the above source link to see the entire story!

Expore A1A